JOHN 15:9-15 (NKJV) --JESUS is speaking--
9) “As the Father has loved Me, I also have loved you: abide in My love.
10) “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. 11) “These things have I spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. 12) “This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13) “Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. 14) ”You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. 15) ”No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from my Father, I have made known to you.”
The above verses from the Gospel of JOHN, spoken by JESUS to His disciples (and to us) just before His crucifixion, say so much to mankind about what GOD wants for us, and it is not the least bit confusing is it.
- GOD loves His Son, JESUS.
- JESUS loves us in the same way.
- If we love THEM, we will abide in THEIR love by keeping THEIR commandments.
- JESUS told them (and tells us thru the Bible) what we need so our joy can be complete!
- The command is to love one another as JESUS loved us.
- That great love was shown in HIS giving HIS life for HIS friends.
- They (and we are) HIS friends if they (we) do whatever HE commands.
- We know (as did they) we are HIS friends because HE has made known everything HE heard from HIS FATHER to them (and us thru the Bible).
The love of GOD is what mankind needs to have true peace of mind and heart. His love enables us to face eternity with an assurance of joy in heaven with GOD, His Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Come worship and study GOD’s revealed WORD with us. Our goal is be with God for eternity. Let’s help each other reach that goal.